Pages

Monday 12 May 2008

Terminate The National Service Programme

I first read about the death of the 18 year old trainee on Stevie's blog.

And like he says, it's pretty obvious they were administering copious amounts of Minyak Cap Kapak as a cure-all. It's highly unlikely there was even a qualified doctor present there.

Previously, my primary gripe with the National Service was the awfully crappy radio commercials exhorting the virtues of attending the programme, of which the English was so deplorable it made you cringe visibly.

But that's because I ain't nobody's mama. I don't know what it's like to raise a kid only to lose him or her to "National Service".

Like everything else in this blooming country the National Service is another way for politicians to make money. And so the safety and well-being of the participants are neglected.

And then what happens?

They die.

There are 15 children dead since the inception of this programme that supposedly "fosters better relations between the races".

Racial harmony should have been cultivated in school, you morons, not engineered among a small group of unlucky children who may experience fatal consequences before they graduate from the programme.

2 comments:

20 Cent said...

Racial harmony should have been cultivated in school, you morons, not engineered among a small group of unlucky children who may experience fatal consequences before they graduate from the programme.

Excellent point made, Crankshaft. There is no way that a sort stint of anything can make a difference in the long run of anything.

And it's good to have you back, Crankshaft. Looks like you're making up a lot of lost ground ;) How was Europe?

Crankster said...

Yes, I do seem to be blogging furiously, don't I! :)

Europe was great! My colleague told me that it's moving into summer and the weather is glorious! I appear to have missed that.

When I first landed there, in the morning the temperature was at 4 deg C. Not too pleasant then.

But the month flew before I could even blink!

Glad to be back though...