Pages

Monday 13 July 2009

Role Model For Unity

I shouldn't do this to myself. I really shouldn't.

But I have this streak of masochism and against my better judgement, every now and then I click on a link that I know is going to lead me to a Bernama site.

This one made me cough a biscuit up my nose.

KUALA LUMPUR, July 13 (Bernama) -- European countries see Malaysia as a melting pot of many cultures and a role model for unity and diversity, said Malaysian Ambassador to Belgium Datuk Hussein Hanif.

These qualities were much needed in the world today and in the years to come, he told Bernama in an interview in Putrajaya recently.

"They (European countries) and the world see Malaysia very positively, because we do not discriminate our citizens and people with different religious beliefs live in relative harmony and unity," he said.

Absolutely. No discrimination at all - no political and economic privileges to any particular group - no sir!

In fact, no one in Malaysia would dream of body-snatching dead Punjabis or Hindus and giving them Muslim burials.

Why, perish the thought!! We live and breath religious harmony and unity!

Hussein, who strongly supports the 1Malaysia concept espoused by Prime Minister Datuk Seri Mohd Najib Tun Abdul Razak, said despite some "new media" trying to discredit Malaysia, once foreigners travel to this country, they would know how safe and amazing Malaysia was.

No shit, sherlock. It's a really safe place - especially in police lock-ups. You know you can sleep safe and expect to wake up bright and chirpy when the Malaysian police are there to protect you.

It's even safer in the streets, more so if you're in your car and you stop by to observe some policemen near a public protest.

You'd never have your car door kicked, the passenger door window screen hit or get forcibly dragged out of your car. No way.

This would spur them to appreciate Malaysia even more, he added, indicating that Malaysia had "dotted the world map with lots of outstanding achievements."

Outstanding, I'm sure. Like making roti-canai and teh-tarik in space? Or a world record for the most number of citizens tear-gassed and sprayed with chemical-laced water?

I sincerely wonder what this dude is smoking.

Because I'd really like a huge dose of denial and escapism once in a while to keep me going.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Crankster, WOW I feel so proud to be Malaysian already!

;)

walla said...

He had too much belgian chocolates and suddenly felt horny during the interview.

Unknown said...

Ah - he lives in a delusional reality and probably fattened :-), programed to support the status quo to have a higher status :-)...

Starmandala said...

My theory is that anyone who earns more than RM100k a year tends to get used to living in a padded cocoon of personal comfort. After a while, even the windows are replaced with LCD screens showing holographic scenes of their last skiiing holiday in the Alps or a recent family reunion at a 7-star Balinese resort. Within a matter of years reports coming from those living closer to ground zero begin to sound like sabotage and subversion - and vigorous denial sets in. It's called Class Warfare and whether any of us is immune I can't say - since I've never experienced earning RM100k a year or more!

Pat said...

Can I go live where he's talking about? So nice, wan! Can I? Can I? Can I?

Crankster said...

How safe and amazing Malaysia is. You go to the anti-corruption commission for questioning and find yourself crumpled in a heap after taking a tumble down 17 floors.