Pages

Monday 28 September 2009

The Good Samaritan

It is somewhat possible that in spite of my inclination for socio-political activism and my penchant for travelling to strange places, I may live to a ripe old age of 70.

In which case, as a little old lady, if I ever get confronted by robbers who intend to attack me, I hope there will still be noble American expatriates around.

Personally, I haven't seen any of our mainstream media carrying this bit of news, but I heard from the grapevine that the American who went to the aid of the old lady was injured in the scuffle.

He was no stray backpacker. He was apparently a man holding a good job (some say he was in the Oil & Gas industry) but prepared to risk it to save the helpless woman.

I try to think positively of my fellow Malaysians. I really do.

But if you ask me, I don't think any Malaysian would risk his own safety for the sake of anyone else - especially with the crime rate at an all-time high (police are too busy arresting peaceful street protestors).

In fact, I once saw a man beating up a woman at a bus-stop while I was driving past.

People looked on with casual disinterest. I don't know if anyone intervened. I personally doubt it.

So whoever that American is, I just want to say thanks to him and I hope he knows I have nothing but admiration for him.

9 comments:

Starmandala said...

Where did you hear about this, Cranky?

pauline26 said...

It was in today's Star newspaper. And Cranky is right, not many Malaysians would do what this American did.

zewt said...

beating up a woman? i tell u... ppl will stop... to watch...

Hitam Had said...

We now have pistol packing snatch thieves.

Are they so desperate that they risk the death penalty if caught in possession of a firearm or are they moonlighting with a legal weapon?

Pax.

Crankster said...

A friend mentioned this to me via chat. I couldn't find it on the newspapers though.

Actually I'm very surprised robbers are armed these days. The punishment is so much greater if found in possession of a weapon.

Besides you can always get away without harming anyone. Our criminals are getting bolder, thanks to the lack of action on the part of our police.

bayi said...

It was reported in the Malaysian Insider, I think. Wonder if anyone knows which hospital he's in. Should get his name and send him some chocs and a note of appreciation!

Gomen should do this on rakyat's behalf!

Crankster said...

The government does absolutely peanuts of the rakyat's behalf. But it's a good idea you have, bayi. If only someone could get his details.

walla said...

i couldn't get thru' the number (ICU); maybe he's still warded there:

http://is.gd/3ODhY

thanks for the heads-up; he probably didn't know a snatch thief would be pulling out a gun to shoot him in the chest.

lately the PDRM has been setting up tents at corners of some housing estates; manned by rather surly-looking officers; maybe they would rather be mobile patrolling than sitting there in a group; one should be stationed while the others show their street presence more.

keep safe; hope the Tsunami fizzles out.

Crankster said...

Thanks for that, Walla. I called and got through, but he's evidently not in ICU.