Pages

Monday 23 February 2009

Of Elizabeth Wong And Questionable Morality

All it takes is for me to be away for a short while before things start brewing in Malaysia.

All it takes is for me to be without an internet connection - at least a secure one without someone on a remote location checking on what I'm browsing online. (It *is* a high-security office, after all).

But I've got round to it - just barely managing to get my head round the story of Elizabeth Wong Keat Ping.

From a personal perspective, it is a very sad story of betrayal - of the highest order. I guess that's what happens when Friday The 13th comes right before Valentine's Day.

I don't know what kind of lover would take intimate pictures of a woman while she is asleep and send it to the press in a horrifying attempt to taint her name. Perhaps there is legitimate reason why he is an EX-boyfriend, and not a current one.

Good riddance to bad rubbish, I say.

But there's always more to it than just that. I'm Malaysian-born and have lived there for most of my life, but I forget what Malaysia is like.

I forget that moral values in Malaysia revolve around what goes on in a private bedroom behind closed doors.

It has been my personal observation that the more prudish one is, the more likely one is to make fraudulent claims (insurance, office overtime etc), solicit bribes and indulge in corruption.

In my book, these are the lowest of moral values (apart from rape and murder) because they negatively and adversely affect other people by taking away from them what is rightfully theirs.

Elizabeth Wong resigned from all her political posts because she was deemed to have "questionable morality".

That has me quite befuddled indeed.

Which part was questionable? That she wasn't like the rest of our politicians?

That she didn't try to smuggle huge amounts of money out to Australia? That she didn't blow up a Mongolian model? That she wasn't committing adultery with "a close friend"? That she wasn't corrupted?

What exactly was questionable?

That she wasn't gay? For some reason I'd always suspected she was - perhaps because she reminds me of a cross between Melissa Etheridge and Ellen DeGeneres. If she was indeed getting frisky with Mr I-Take-Photos-While-You-Sleep, she's evidently straight.

Even if she was in fact, gay, I'd wonder which woman it was that got lucky. If she applies the same determination and dedication to a relationship as she does to her job (and her resume really is quite impressive), what more could you ask for?

So again, which part was questionable?

That she wasn't known to be into say, group sex?

If that has you shocked, allow me to inform you that it is not an alien concept to many Malaysians. Trust me, I know - I've actually been invited before. Since you're a snoopy busy-body and are now curious - I declined the offer. :)

I was hardly surprised, though. Malaysia is a sexually repressed nation, and all other nations like that harbour people who are unable to express themselves adequately and resort to what the mainstream would term as 'deviant'.

That being said, if such an act is consensual between adults, I really can't think of how it affects me or my loved ones in the same way our mainstream politicians' corrupted, self-serving actions have.

So for the last time, what about her was questionable?

That she wasn't a paedophile or prone to engaging in bestiality - both of which are acts I unreservedly abhor?

The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced that she sounds like a poster girl for clean politics. Someone was looking for dirt on the woman and all they could come up with was, that she presumably goes to bed with a man.

But wait. She's no more in politics.

And I can understand why - she's too clean.

11 comments:

Donplaypuks® said...

It's a tragedy Elizabeth Wong quit.

Ambition should be made of sterner stuff and she should have stayed on to battle the racist and corrupt UMNO/BN elements. We need her kind of clean politicians to re-define politics and Govt in M'sia.

As for the person who posted the videos, whatever his/her motives, a good dose of syariah style whipping and amputation would not be out of place!
http://donplaypuks.blogspot.com

Pat said...

I think you hit it squarely when you say: we're sexually repressed here.

It's like a child and candy - the more you say, 'no, you can't have it', and hide it away where he cannot quite see it, but he just knows it's there... and all he has to do is reach out and touch it, and it is his... and his mouth waters, and his mind wonders, and he can think of nothing else and he becomes obsessed with it every waking moment....

What was I talking about? Ahhhh, yes, candy. Not anything else, yah?

And did you hear about Chua Soi Lek? I am so embarassed by the charge, I cannot repeat it here. Not that I'm a prude. It's the stupidity of it that's stuck in me craw! What do I say to my foreign friends now???!!!

Pat

Crankster said...

I think she should have stayed on but I think PAS would have objected, DPP. I agree about some good ole Hudud on the idiot of an ex-bf.

Pat, I can see you getting all distracted here. And I thought *I* was bad.

I haven't heard about Chua Soi Lek. What now?

Starmandala said...

Strong stuff, Cranky. Eli would love this post :-)

Anonymous said...

Cranky - get in the spirit of things, of course her private life is their business, she made it their business by becoming a public figure! You can't be a public figure and not expect people to pry or click ur pixs after well u know what... I'm not very well-versed with malaysian politics or lack of it but thank the good lord for main stream media for bringing all this into my attention. When elected and famous, you can all discuss my sex life put up pictures and I'll be cool with it - just so that i could have my hands on 20,000 a year paid holiday they are entitled to...sheesh did u know about that before!!??

Vote for me..Jessybelle!!

Crankster said...

Hi Antares, I wouldn't mind at all if she did like it. :) But while I liberally sprinkle her name around the post, it really isn't about her as it is about Malaysian attitudes and our obsession with sex.

Jessybelle, I do wonder if you actually read my post or just shoot off comments. Being a public figure, her life is subject to scrutiny, but while I have nothing but contempt for the boyfriend, it's about being exposed, it's about citizens judging their politicians by what is essentially a private matter.

And the fact that they're so obsessed with sex is what makes our politics revolve solely around it.

zewt said...

futile since she resigned and left the country.

GobloKing said...

I wish Elizabeth Wong had stayed. She was so well liked and brilliant!

Elizabeth- what you do in your private life as a single person is YOURS! I agree with Crankshaft. A person's ability is not negated by what he/she wears/ do in the bedroom.

I would much rather still have E.Wong than the corrupt politicians we have now - whose brains are even smaller than their pube hair.

If we are honest with ourselves, we will be sure to find that all of us have skeletons of every size in our own closet.

Elizabeth. We SOKONG YOU. ALL AUNTIES SOKONG YOU.

Even my 91 yr old mum thinks a few spicy photos are hakunamatata. She should know. Her own daughter has done more & worst, & if her kid can rise from the ashes - so can Elizabeth!

COME BACK ELIZABETH WONG COME BACK!!!

Anonymous said...

You are absolutely correct in saying we are severely sexually repressed.

But yet again I blame the people. The people want their kids to be good and clean, unquestioning and subservient. Smart enough to work out chemistry, biology and physics and dumb enough to never question the bullshit that’s served to them.

We don’t allow our kids to experiment, to be free and to make mistakes because we want them to lead a perfect mundane white collar corporate criminal life earning a 5 figure salary and driving a Beemer while robbing from the poor.

We don’t really care if our children are happy or if they’re living their dreams, we just want them to believe in “God”, listen to their teachers, obey their parents and stay away from sex, drugs and rock & roll. In short, we just want to take the fun out of their lives.

And, we get bitter when see them have fun, cause it makes us recollect of the times that we deprived ourselves from having a life. So we have to instill fear, humiliation and guilt into them just so we can feel good about how we did the “right” thing, took the “correct” way or chose the “moral” ground. Yet behind that holier-than-thou shell, there is indeed great sadness and regret within these moral crusaders and that kills them. We are indeed a very selfish nation.

On a side note, I need to get into one of these ‘group sex’ things that I keep hearing about. I mean being in a multi-ethnic country, it would be depressing if I died and never got to be part of an ‘interracial gang bang’…


Btw Crankster, could I add you into my blogroll?

Starmandala said...

Where on earth are you, Cranky? Have missed your posts! Suspect you've found better things to do with your time ;-)

Crankster said...

Ampangdude, you won't believe the English are probably more conservative than the Malaysians. I can't access your blog -it's been blocked- but I will link to it when I'm back in KL.

Hi Antares, I haven't had open internet access for a while now except in my office. I don't want to be caught blogging at work, so I'm lying dormant. Expect some action come end of this month!