Pages

Tuesday 25 August 2009

A Death In Custody Brushed Aside

This particular post owes its thanks to Naga of the WIRED blog, who gave me the heads up on this video.

The image below is one of Francis Udayappan's mother, Sara Lily, weeping over the death of her son as she speaks to HINDRAF lawyer Uthayakumar.


I can understand why for Uthayakumar, the fight is for the Indians (or Hindus) and not Malaysians as a whole. Fundamental rights are non-existent for an Indian who has no standing in society.

I may not agree with Uthayakumar's approach, but I can understand where he's coming from.


After 10 days, the victim's body still hadn't been returned to his mother.

I believe the police were trying to figure out how to cover up their tracks and were hoping decomposition of the body would hide all traces of assault and the subsequent injuries.

Based on my understanding, the HINDRAF group (and current Subang MP Sivarasa Rasiah) went to see the IGP to submit a memorandum for an investigation to be carried out over the mysterious circumstances of Francis Udayappan's death.

This was one of the pleas by the leaders of HINDRAF which fell on deaf ears. When they organised the HINDRAF rally, many people questioned why they did not go through "democratic" channels.

The answer is simply this: HINDRAF did, but it was brushed aside.

3 comments:

shar101 said...

Good research, C.

Am borrowing it for some .. errr .. ABM work.

Starmandala said...

There's a bit of Indian in everybody. These disturbing reports of deaths in custody concern all humanity. No truly noble ruler could possibly keep mum in the face of such despicable goings-on within his or her realm. I hold the Yang Di Pertuan Agong personally responsible - since the Polis act officially in his name.

Pat said...

How it must feel to know that you're are worth nothing. That your death is so inconsequential, that your body can be just left to decompose while someone figures how to write you off.

"I may not agree with Uthayakumar's approach, but I can understand where he's coming from." I, too, dislike this division by race - but I agree: enough is enough. It's time to be heard.