Pages

Sunday 9 March 2008

You Knew It Was Coming! :)

We finally took back our country!


I guessed this elections would be historical but I wasn't prepared for the response I witnessed on Saturday.

Never before had I seen so many voters determined to have their say through the ballot boxes. The roads were jammed with cars and the schools were packed with people anxious to vote.

I think it's a great feeling especially for us bloggers, because the Opposition got most of its publicity through emails, the blogs and internet media. We did it!! :)

My sister, mother and I dragged my grandmother to her voting centre even in the downpour. Grandma was especially concerned about the way things were going on in this country. She wanted to make a difference for her great-grandkids.

And that was the spirit reverberating throughout most of the country. People were crying out for change, and finally it happened! It was makkal sakthi - People Power!

I sat glued to the TV at 7pm, waiting for the results. When Musa Hassan the IGP warned that no one should be allowed to make their victory parade, I caught my sister's eye.

"Are you thinking what I'm thinking?" she asked.

"Yes," I grinned. Obviously, if Barisan Nasional had claimed a landslide victory, there would be no holds barred and the victors could celebrate as much as they wanted.

But the fact that there were restrictions gave very strong indications that the Opposition may have claimed a few significant seats.

Nothing prepared me for the takeover of Selangor, Penang, Perak, Wilayah Persekutuan, Kedah and Kelantan! It was just phenomenal!! And some of the majority votes were so overwhelming that it really did send out a strong message.

Awesome! :)

No comments: