Pages

Friday 24 April 2009

Paying Your Dues

Apparently I'm on the WANTED list.

No, it's not yet another Operasi Lalang this time. It's the Internal Revenue Board or the LHDN, and they want my money. Cheap jerks.

Every year I curse them and the politicians whose pockets I know my money is inevitably going to fall into while I stare ruefully at the poor public transportation and perpetually traffic-congested highways.

But I always pay up anyway. I pacify myself by thinking that the money that goes to the government is only a small amount. But then I'm reminded that it's only because I'm not paid all that much.

So it doesn't gratify me for long.

This year it's different. I want to pay (or rather, I want to get it over and done with) but I can't.

You see, I'd made an oversight when I travelled 17 hours on a plane in January. I forgot to bring my tax receipts for books, insurance, donations and others which are crucial for claiming tax deductions.

So now, even though the LHDN has miraculously (or maybe through the combination of God's grace and a talented IT engineer) managed to operate a semi-efficient website for e-filing one's taxes, I don't have all the documents I need, not to mention the EA form from my previous employer.

It's quite astounding that one would have to employ various methods of harrassment to allow oneself to pay money to the government.

Because really, if I wasn't going to be hunted down and forced to pay, I wouldn't dream of coughing up the dough. Not so that this fool can fly first class on an expensive holiday, or so this despot can build a humongous but garish mansion.

All for their own gain.

Hafiz Noor Shams, bless his heart, tries to explain my predicament in Of should we pay income tax? where he postulates "that the biggest reason of all [for paying tax] is to support the State for rendering services which in effect protect citizens and those within the jurisdiction of the State".

He goes on to say:

If the State fails to do so, the obligation to pay taxes evaporates. In fact, failure on behalf of the State to protect these rights eliminates a reason for such a State. This later calls for the creation of a new State capable of discharging its duties better, lest the dissolution of the previous incompetent or tyrannical State leads to an unstable state of anarchy.

At this point, I'm nodding my head so vigorously that I've created a vortex capable of bringing down a jumbo jet.

But it's never that simple and in no way is Hafiz advocating that we cease to pay our taxes altogether.

I do wish my money would be better managed though.

8 comments:

walla said...

"I have my entitlement. If I were to reduce my entitlement to what an officer gets then what is the officer going to reduce to?"

How about he bunking in the cargo bay so that his officer can be upgraded to business class on a long-haul route? After all, it's the officer who'll be doing all the work. What kind of a friggin' logic was going on in his jaundiced head? And they gave him the second-highest votes in their dumbtruck company?

This guy is so feudal, so baronic (note i didn't say moronic). But i forget, he's already mengelenic.

Last one heard, semuanya ok means semuany otak karat.

;P

Someone should do a poster of him saying that and then below admonish the rakyat to pay their hard-earned taxes. Send the bill to Umno.

Oops, they can get the courts to waive suits.

Man, we're goners.

Starmandala said...

I don't believe we've met, Cranky, and yet you seem to know me quite well. Are you quite sure you aren't an old flame? One day I'll tell you how I managed to escape sports practice and paying taxes to a criminal government ;-)

Pat said...

That quote, provided by Walla, will forever stick in my craw! I couldn't believe he could say it with a straight face! Or is he dumber than dumb?

Antares, is/was everyone an old flame? What have you been up to all your life? Then again, I'm probably too young to find out! ;)

Crankster said...

Jaundiced head. LMAO. Don't hold back Walla, tell us how you really feel. :p

Antares, I'm no old flame of yours - because if I was, you'd certainly remember! ;-) I look forward to tutorials on Tax Evasion 101.

Pat, I wonder how anyone can say shit like that with a straight face as well.

Starmandala said...

Cranky said: I look forward to tutorials on Tax Evasion 101.I don't know about tax EVASION, Cranks... but if you're interested in tax NEGATION... well, I look forward to a 3D encounter, that's for sure :-)

Hitam Had said...

Interesting problem. You know what they say about death and taxes...?

Maybe the penalty for not filing an inaccurate tax return this year will be less than the tax refundable to you ( when you have the data to file later).

It is self assessment now and the penalty for wrongful declaration is quite severe.

Anyway, I think our LHDN is not as aggressive as the American IRS.

Whoops, I must try to submit my tax return tomorrow!

Pax.

zewt said...

sigh.... that fella's justification for flying 1st class is really... 1st class....

one of my friends actually said that paying tax is supporting an evil regime... a big sin!!! hahaha... that extreme...

Crankster said...

Hitam Had, they're the only 2 certainties in life. :) Problem is, I don't want to pay any penalty at all. I have no intention of giving more to the government than I can help.

Zewt, that bugger is spectacularly stupid. First class stupidity.

I agree with you. Unfortunately, I'm forced by the government to sin.