Pages

Saturday 30 May 2009

Repelling Tourists

I doubt this is something many Malaysians are aware of, but the tourism board of Malaysia has some aggressive advertising campaigns put in place to attract visitors to our country.

Presumably, one of those efforts is the unmistakable logo of Tourism Malaysia right smack in the middle of Trafalgar Square. Yes, that's the Trafalgar Square in London.


I don't know if it works, but the thought is commendable.

If only the government doesn't keep shooting itself in the foot by arresting peaceful protestors and indulging in nasty scuffles with innocent citizens, more people might be inspired to pay a visit.

Somehow, when images of black eyes, stories of blown up Mongolian models and speakers being forcibly removed from their chairs in Assembly make their way to the newspapers, people do not feel too eager to book a flight for a week long holiday in a country with dubious reputation.

Believe you me.

3 comments:

Pat said...

PR consultants try to teach their clients this: that you can purchase space for an ad, but the best advertisement is real news.

Hitam Had said...

Hi Ms C,

Don't be so sarcastic. The signage outside the Malaysian Tourism offices in London can hardly be called an advertisement.

Maybe they are scared they will attract undesirables to Malaysia such as those people who demonstrate in Trafalgar Square.

Pax.

Crankster said...

Pat - that couldn't be more true.

Hitam - I was on a double decker bus (how stereotype) when I first saw the sign. It hit me like a ton of bricks.

I was almost annoyed at my fellow passengers for not sitting up and taking notice until I remembered that they were either British/foreign nationals and they couldn't care less about it. :)