Pages

Wednesday 10 June 2009

NST Attempts To Increase Sales By Offering Discount Coupons

They say wonders never cease. I'm beginning to believe them - whoever they are.

For finally, my parents have seen the light. Finally, they have realised that the mainstream media are nothing but a bunch of snivelling liars.

And believe it or not, my father has actually cancelled the daily newspaper subscription. I am very curious to hear of how he will deal with the withdrawal symptoms of not being able to read the comics and obituaries.

But according to my mother, he apparently was quite firm in his decision. I'm shocked because he was brought up to never question the government or authority, and by his book, the newspapers are the authority ... at least on news that happens in this country.

So for him to spurn the NST, there must have been more than just a ray of enlightenment.

I'm delighted. I hope that my father is not alone in his decision. I hope that all those others out there who read the mainstream media will consider cancelling their subscription as well.

But I think it has already happened. Which is why the NST is in collaboration with major hypermarkets to increase sales of their worthless scraps of newsprint by offering cut-out coupons with discounts:

PETALING JAYA: Carrefour Malaysia has teamed up with the New Straits Times to launch its week-long "Cut and Save Campaign" beginning today.

The campaign, which ends on Sunday, is aimed at ensuring that Carrefour customers enjoy the best deals, given current times when budgets are understandably tight.

Carrefour Malaysia and Singapore managing director Shafie Shamsuddin said three coupons offering savings of between RM15 and RM50 for selected items would be available daily in the NST during the campaign.

It is important to note that the flailing economy and "customer satisfaction" has been cited as the reason for this discount coupon offering.

If that was the case, they should have put it on the internet so people could print out the coupons and redeem them at the nearest outlet.

Oh no. This is definitely about increasing NST sales.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

simple just buycout all outlets that advertise in nst! hit their pockets..it will hurt..

Ted Torrence said...

No use lah, Free also nobody read lah, Get ready to close down lah because nobody understand ENgloish lah ...

http://thextalks.blogspot.com/2009/06/dap-doesnt-want-you-to-learn-english.html

zewt said...

they (NST) just dont get it... do they? dangling carrots might not help.

good to know your dad made such a move...

Crankster said...

You're right - boycotting the advertisers is the best course of action. We've tried before, but we need bigger support from the public.

Mr X, I wouldn't read the NST if it was free either.

Zewt, nothing can help NST at this point. Their reputation has reached a point of no return.

Unknown said...

I have not read the NST since 1983!!! In fact, I did not even know about this ridiculous offer till I visited your blog. Some people are delusional and others detached from reality to advertise there!

Crankster said...

Good for you, masterwordsmith. I wonder why anyone would waste their money advertising in the NST.

Pat said...

I've stopped reading the mainstream media for close to three years now. And believe me, the withdrawal symtoms hurt: I missed my comic strips!!!

It was world news that I'd skim through; sorta glance at local news; and then, pore over the comics, the movie stuff, and other such fluff! Yah lah, I be very the deep wan!

It used to be that the NST was the paper to read. If you found a typo in it, it was like striking the lottery. Now, the reverse is true: if you don't find a typo, or grave grammatical or reasoning error . . . .

So, it's close to r.i.p. stage, lah. And The Star, far from shining bright, is hot on its heels!

Murali said...

Ganyang NST! :)