Pages

Friday 15 February 2019

Start-Up of the Day: Fresh At Heart

Now if I had failed to introduce a start-up that involved food, many Malaysians would have been unable to forgive me.

I stumbled across this by accident, as I don't exactly buy my food online. I have bought many things online, but never perishables. I can't remember if I have ever even ordered pizza online.

The Fish Club consist of a bunch of guys who grew up in a little fishing village in Pontian, Johor. I always thought that it was on the east coast but it turns out that it's actually west of the PLUS (north-south) highway.


Apparently Pontian is noted for its variety of seafood which is sold at a reasonable price. This is where these guys come in. Being locals, they are able to source fresh seafood and distribute it to their customers.

If you live around Johor or Singapore, you get your orders quicker. If you are located in Kuala Lumpur or Penang, you need to let them know in advance as they send their deliveries in bulk to keep the costs down.

I discovered that they have rather sophisticated methods for freezing their fish so that it doesn't lose its flavour or texture while still retaining the freshness.

So you could buy in bulk (RM200 gives you free delivery) and stick them in the freezer, and you're good to go for the next month or two.

Their customers certainly approve because most of them return to buy again from them and give them very high approval ratings on Facebook.

Their combo deal appeals to me not only because it's cheap, but because I think they package the fish that was caught but didn't get sold immediately.

In this day and age, we cannot afford to waste food.

Perhaps this is what I find appealing about this set-up - that it is designed not to waste as much as if you were to go to a fish market and buy whatever was available.

By the end of the day, the fish starts to look rather past its best and you just wouldn't buy it. So much wastage happens in wholesale markets.

I confess that the packaging is plastic and styrofoam, that is perhaps harmful to the environment, but no different from what you would get at the supermarkets.

Certainly good value for money.

Talented Malaysians of the day: Eddie Goh and Joel Chong

No comments: